Friday, February 03, 2006

Close my eyes

Sometime this week, while walking to work at the mrt station, I decided to do a little test. If I close my eyes and walk approximately 10 steps, will I still be walking in a straight line (using the tiles on the floor as a guide) or will I steer towards to left or the right. I know for cars if you do not hold on to the steering wheel when driving, the car will either steer left or right depending on the level of the road, right ?

So, after making sure it was safe and that there was no one around that stretch of pathway, I took a deep breath, closed my eyes and tried my very best to walk slowly in a straight line. When I opened my eyes a very short while later, I realized that I had actually veered to the left.

Determined to walk in a straight line with my eyes closed, I tried again and again. I realized that the more I tried, the better I got! Hee hee.. Though I still tend to veer towards to left, the angle got smaller and smaller. Also, I started to notice that I could navigate by the sounds around me. How my footsteps echoed, the traffic of cars, buses and chit-chatting sounds from the crowd of people below the mrt pathway waiting for their shuttle buses to work etc.

Through this small little test, I realized that in the same way, our minds & hearts also need to be fixed on Jesus. When our eyes are on Him, when we look full on His face, all the other things around us will turn dim. He makes our paths straight. He brings us to a different level of understanding & sensitivity to the people and things happening around us. We hear the Holy Spirit whispering inside our hearts more clearly too. Perhaps slowly initially but surely, we will, if we persevere. Amen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home