Thursday, March 31, 2005

Exercising

I have a habit ie. not to write anything (emails, diaries, letters whatever) when I am angry. Simply because I do not want to pen them all down and then feel bad or regret later, especially when I write nasty emails and then send them out to whoever concerned. Those emails are not nice, really not nice… hahahaa…. Nope, not being hypocritical or hiding my feelings or emotions about that matter or person, but I feel that there are always better ways to solve or settle that particular matter. Cannot act on impulse yar ? Cool, calm & collected… one of my aims in life. Be like Jesus !

Something happened today. I was preparing to go for my gym session at lunch time when one of my colleagues (let’s call her Y), came over to my workstation. Y saw the sandwich on my table, pointed at it and said rather loudly, “Hey, that’s 600 calories !! You go exercise in the gym, work out 300 calories, then come back and eat 600 calories, net net still gain 300 calories, like that how can ?” I smiled at Y (ok, I admit, I TRIED to smile at her), and said this, “Want to slim down faster ? Then don’t eat for 3 days lor, surely will slim down at least 2 kgs !”. With that Y kept quiet and then continued to comment on the parsley that is included in the sandwich, that she doesn’t like parsley cos of their smell etc etc. She knew she “lost”... hahaha.

Recently in my office, there is a BIG CRAZE on slimming. It started with a colleague (let’s call her Z) embarking on her 39 days diet plan which costs her S$600+. The plan goes something like this :-

Day 01-02 : Breakfast drink a certain drink prescribed by the diet plan, Lunch and Dinner, take 4 pills each. No other food are allowed.
Day 03-10 : Breakfast drink that same drink as above, Lunch take 4 pills, Dinner can eat only 600 calories worth of food. (There is a list of food which tells you the quantity and calories count).
Day 11-39 : Breakfast drink that same drink as above + 4 pills (different from the previous 4 kinds), Lunch and Dinner can only eat 600 calories each meal.

Results ? Z lost 2 kgs from her first 2 days of above diet plan, today is her 13th day and she said she had lost 5 kgs in total.

Frankly speaking, I have nothing against anyone who wants to embark on such diet plans. It is their choice. If you have the $$, am determine to follow the regime, why not ? Although I am concerned of the after effects, one of the questions I had always wanted to ask is “What happens on the 40th day ?”

Many of my friends are “impressed” that I am going to the gym at least 3 times a week and they keep teasing me on this, is it because I want to slim down (well, I believe that part of the package isn’t it ?), is it because I had gotten attached and thus wants to look good (if that is the main reason, I think I will “dump” the guy first, looks are one thing, if those guys do not/cannot appreciate we girls as we are, then forget about them.. there are many more “appreciative” guys out there I believe, well of cos we girls should do our part and try to look good too, that I agree).
Ok, let’s not divert. Actually, the main reason I wanted to work out was because I paid for the whole year’s subscription ! Hahaha… ok ok, that’s just PART of the main reason, although it really serves as a “subtle form” of motivation. Jokes aside, the gym sessions are more to sweat it out, tone up and strengthen my overall health. You may not know this, but I had a bus accident like 3 years ago and I know the agony of what it is to be not allowed to get down from my bed (CRIB) and then had to take therapy session to “learn” how to “walk” again, how to “lift” up my head, how to “sit” again etc. Those simple things that we do everyday that most of us take for granted. The thought of being paralysed terrifies me at that time.

Thank God I recovered and now I really really appreciate and give thanks to God for the ability to walk and run. Walking and running have now become a joy to me. For me, exercising (besides swimming) is part of the regime for me to strengthen my back especially, why should people view me with that kind of “she’s dying to slim down” mentality ? Perhaps I am too sensitive, perhaps I didn’t make myself clear to them, perhaps I shouldn’t bother with their comments in the first place.

Anyway, point is, now I enjoy going to the gym and sweating it out. Then take a bath and come back to office to continue working. Taking care of our bodies is also a commandment from God right ? If we do not take care of our bodies, how can we serve Him effectively ? All the glory goes to God ultimately.

2 Comments:

At 4:48 PM , Blogger Kabe said...

Romans 14:20-23 & Romans 14:1-3
Very interesting, pastor shared it during yesterday's bible study session and it brought so much revelation. Eat according to your faith and be not condemned ! Don't ever condemn yourself !!!!!

Thank you Jesus for your timely reminder and encouragement.

 
At 6:37 PM , Blogger Bubbz said...

I agree with Hui Hui. Being within your BMI and looking slim does not equate to good health. Someone with a high BMI but high muscle mass is much healthier that someone with a lower BMI but does not exercise. So keep up with it! Ganbatte!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home