Thursday, September 29, 2005

Tradition

How much does tradition affects us ? So much so that it even “frustrates” your act of filial piety ?

I heard this from one of my cousins. If she were to buy shoes for her mother, her mother has to give her a angbao. I asked her the reason for doing that (there has to be one right ?), she simply said, cos by doing so, she (ie the daughter) will be well.
Huh ?? I do not understand. To me, buying shoes or buying even ANYTHING for your parents or elders is an act of filial piety and all deserving for them. Why should they give you back a ang-bao (whatever the amount) for what you bought for them ? Actually, bible did say that we are to honor our parents so that our days will be long on this earth. But I don’t remember seeing another verse that says parents or elders are to give an angbao back (correct me if I am wrong pls).

Nonetheless, let’s not be stumbled by these kind of traditions, but use our hearts to minister our love for the loved ones around us, shall we ?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home